Thursday, June 13, 2013

Liquidamber Gumball Standards



I have to share. My lovely client, Roselee, from the Upper Plain Garden (see page link on the right) has just sent me through these photos of Liquidamber Gumball, at her house. They have been in pots for about a year, out the back in 'Versailles'. Green during summer, but OMG this bright bright orange and red right now. Most trees have lost their leaves, but the liquidamber is still holding on to them. What a show. This, in my mind, has taken the place of Robinia Mop Top which although they are divine to look at, have so much trouble with suckering. So many people in small gardens want a tree, but most grow too big. This would be ideal for along a boundary fence to block out neighbouring buildings, without taking up too much ground space, or getting too tall. A hedge underneath of Camellia setsugekka, or any green species. Gorgeous!

This is the 'Gumball' in summer - just plain old leafy green, but still gorgeous
Apparently they maintain their shape very well (and size), but a light clip of the all the branch tips each year would easily keep that in check if you were worried. Thanks for sharing, Roselee!! 

5 comments:

  1. They are fabulous....what a blast of cheery colour! Yes, much more interesting than the mop tops....and something a little different. I am assuming they will need a fair bit of clipping to contain their size though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point about the trimming. These are only one year old, so I don;t know yet. Will keep you posted. Although they are nothing at all like the tree form of Liqiuidamber styraciflua, as they have presumably been grafted at some point, but not sure of parentage? I would put up with biannual trimming if this was the effect I got!! Rx

      Delete
    2. Hi there Glamour Drops,
      I have planted some in the pots and some into the ground around another garden will be just nipping a couple of the errant shoots at top. These are grown as dwarfs not taller than 2 metres and are sort of casual topiary rather than tight balls Really looking a picture at moment
      Cheers Roselee

      Delete
  2. I'm the first to admit that I'm not a green-fingered kinda gal, much as I'd like to be. But I can recognise that these are exquisite! We have a fabulous outlook over our local botanical gardens, and I love looking out at all the autumn colours at the moment - a kaleidoscope of reds, burnt oranges, and yellow! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Vic - that is called making excellent use of the 'borrowed landscape'. All care and no responsibility. Love it! Hasn't it been an amazing autumn/early winter for colour in HB and Wairarapa? Touch wood!! Rx

      Delete