Wednesday, January 29, 2014

January in the Orange and Purple Garden

Okay - so I said I'd show you the changes month by month to this garden - but I missed December. I'm sure you will cope. January has progressed from the yellows and blues to the dominance of orange, with blues and purples. Below is yesterday's snapshot of most of the flowering plants. So, these are all thriving under neglect, in the hot and dry summer. There are lots of things I will fine tune over autumn (moving some plants further back, dividing and adding more of some etc). This is a learning curve for me, too, you know!

Echinacea White Swan - I will add lots more of this. The creamy petals and size of the
flower are important to break up the mass of smaller flowers, and colour clashes!

Leonotis leonorus - great in behind

Penstemon - a really valuable addition to any perennial garden, for longevity
of flower season, and height. 

Unnamed dahlia, with some of the blues and purples behnid

Geranium Johnson's Blue - love this, but too bossy for front of house. Will move these
back next year.  

Gallardia?? 

Hellenium - adore this, and loves the heat. Due for a chop back, to prolong the season.

Verbena bonariense - featured many many times on this blog - one of my all-time faves. 

Convoluvulus mauritanicus - fantastic groundcover. The best at laying low
and mingling without dominating. 

Geum something or other! Love it. 

Salvia gigantea maybe? This is so tall, and fabulous flowers just about to start. Want more.

Feels like I need more cream in here. 

Echinacea ..... - arghh - forgotten name - but this is GORGEOUS. Want more. 

Dahlias again. They add a real punch of size and colour into late autumn. 

Watch out, Dame Edna Everidge is in the house! Gladioli are great in amongst other plants. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow Rachel - it looks so vibrant and stunning. Echinacea is my new crush - our neighbours at the beach had some gorgeous examples in their garden. No wonder you want more. I've been thinking of you and your garden advice. Though I still hate (strong word) the alstromeria, I have left some to flower this year AND have planted some sweet chrysanthemums in pots. Thought you'd be proud of me! But, I have to be honest - my dahlias were severely neglected while I was away and aren't as fabulous as they should be. I divided massively this year, and think the growth has been slower as a result. Also, there are still mites!! It's all out war against them, but not sure I'm going to win the battle. Gardening can be challenging!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Amanda - good girl!! Always good to try something new, isn't it?? The Chrysanthemums are perfect to extend the picking season. My dahlias are only just getting to full flower. They are such a great burst of colour when everything else seems to be too hot. Keep going with the planting!! Rachel x

      Delete